Mathematics Placement at UofSC
Click on image to download the guide to the Math Placement Test (Summer/Fall'17 — Spring'18)
All students must meet the prerequisite for any collegiate math course that they take at UofSC. For some courses this prerequisite is met after taking one of the two versions of the Math Placement Test. These tests allow students to gauge how their math skills translate into each relevant course. Each student's test is different1:
- The PreCalculus Placement Test covers pre-Calculus and Trigonometry.
If your program requires only MATH 141, you need to take this test.
- The Algebra Placement Test covers basic high school Algebra II.
If your program requires only MATH 122, you need to take this test.
- If your program allows you to choose between MATH 141 and MATH 122 and you are undecided, we recommend you take both versions.
- The specific questions on each individual test are chosen randomly from a test bank.
At the completion of the test, the students are told their score. This score is then loaded into the student record maintained by the Office of the Registrar2. Students with no MPT score on file or who do not meet the prerequisites will not be able to register for 100-level Math courses.
Additional information and resources for the tests can be accessed from the following links:
|Take me to the tests|
- Before you can begin your MPT, you will be asked to enter your UofSC Network Username and Password. To find them, go to my.sc.edu. Then, click the "Set your UofSC Network Username/Email Password". You will use your VIP ID to log on. This page will show your UofSC Network Username and allow you to change your password.
- It takes two to three business days for your Mathematics Placement Test score to be loaded into the student record maintained by the Registrar Office.